8 July, 2011 1 Comment
Film Australia have a fascinating collection of films of historical significance in their archives, including Life in Australia: Sydney, a promotional film showing footage of what everyday life was like for a Sydney family almost 50 years ago.
A few things I found fascinating:
- Suits and ties everywhere, no bogans
- Stay-at-home mums
- Almost all white people
- The “old rattler” train carriages that were still running until recently (yes, they’re that old!)
- The opera house being constructed
- Red-brick buildings shown off as stylish and new
- Is that girl at the rock’n’roll dance rocking out in her underwear?
- Time traveller from the 80’s at 17:02
- The traffic was bad, even then